KÁRUNWÍ


Photo from Annie Spratt on Unsplash 


Welcome to Limitless! 
~

The forbidden dungeon I had sworn to never return to stared at me right in the eye, and I could hear its sardonic laughter. 

I shifted from one hip to the other and wiped the sweat gathering at my furrowed eyebrows. This same place?
How pathetic.  

You know what is more pathetic? The filthy dress hanging from the shoulder of Ínkpí, the youngest of my seven sisters as she flung the door open. 

“Kárunwí”, she screamed with wide eyes. “You shouldn’t be here. Father will kill you”. She moved to slam the door, but I caught it. This little brat. 

“I am here for that exact reason. He has to kill me. And are you out of your senses? Were you just about to slam the door in my face? If you don’t MOVE out of my way!!!” 

I waddled through my father’s veranda into the kitchen. 

Smoke. Fish. The pungent smell of oil burning on firewood.

“Kárunwí!” my immediate younger sister screamed and jumped off her stool, almost tipping over the tray of melon seeds she had on her lap. She shoved the tray aside and jumped into my arms. 

“Oh, you’re preg…”, I muffled her mouth with my hands. “Keep it down”, I looked around and glanced at the barely visible bump in my bright pink maternity dress. 

“What are we keeping down?”, my mum asked amusingly as she walked in with a long three-pronged fork in hand. She ignored my presence and moved towards the fish. 

“Mum… I missed you”, I started. She held her free hand in front of her face and gave me an awry look. 

“Don’t even start Kárunwí”, she turned back to turning the fish that was roasting. 

I swallowed and sighed. Níntí looked at me knowingly and shrugged. I grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the kitchen. 

“How bad did they take it?” 

“REALLY bad”, she answered. “Father is extremely furious. He said he never wants to set his eyes on you again, so, I’m not exactly sure how he might take it when he finds you here. Kárunwí, as much as I love you, I think you should leave before he gets back home”, she said with urgency. 

“Look, Ninti, I know everyone wasn’t expecting it but…”

“KÁRUNWÍ”, I felt chills go down my spine at the most deadly tone my father had ever used on me. 

“You ingrate”, he spat through clenched teeth. Since you already chose to treat your family like dirt, what then are you doing here?”

“Dad, I can explain”

“Explain what? Explain that you chose to disrespect your family? Even more so, your mum and I? Explain that you decided to elope and get married to that bastard, Banji Adimu? You know what? KÁRUNWÍ, GET OUT OF MY HOUSE”. 

“Dad, I’m really sorry and I will explain everything. The reason I’m here is to tell you that…” I suddenly felt lightheaded, and couldn’t stand on my two feet. The only thing I could remember was Níntí shaking me awake…

~

Thank you for reading guys! 
This blogpost is long overdue, and I’m sorry for staying away for so long! Do you want a sequel or not?😌

Till we meet again!🤍

Comments

  1. This is fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting! And I love the cliffhanger, when should we be expecting the continuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please we want a sequel o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Universe City

Baby Steps!

Spotting Red Flags!

My Scary Experience with Miss Koi Koi

Spotting Green Flags