A Honest View on Unrequited Love by Edna Obieme


Photo by Luis Villasmil on Unsplash 

Welcome to Limitless! Today is a special day! 

After, that one interview with Victor Alausa, Life as a Theatre Arts Student, I’ve not brought anyone to write on Limitless. So, i’m really excited for this one! 

Today, Edna shares her experience and view on Unrequited Love! Enjoy the read! 

Unrequited love is a story a lot of us know well or have probably experienced, but my story unfolded during the days of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

It started in the isolation of lockdown, when the world outside was hushed. 

I was home from school and started catching up on old friends from secondary school and then I reconnected with him - let’s call him S. We bonded over our shared love for nostalgia of our high school days and soon, our conversations extended beyond the nostalgia to our current feelings. 

S and I started video calling each other daily. It was incredible how we connected despite never meeting in person. We talked about everything—our favorite books, dreams for the future, and the small joys that kept us going through those strange, lonely days like my podcast. His laughter and his voice was a very comforting presence that made the unwanted break a bit bearable. He gave the best advice and just seemed to see what I see and knew what to say. 

As 2 weeks turned into 2 months, I found myself falling for him. It was a dramatic shift honestly - his text was the first thing I looked forward to. Eventually, I couldn’t hold back my feelings any longer. 

One night, during our midnight call sessions, I hinted at it. I’m too Nigerian to confess feelings completely. 

S was kind in his response. He appreciated my honesty and said he needed some time to process things because he wasn’t sure he’s ready for love. I tried to understand and tried even more to be patient, but the days grew longer, and his replies became fewer. 

Our calls, once filled with laughter and warmth, turned into sporadic messages. Then, as the world began to open up again, he ghosted me completely.

It hurt more than I expected to realize that the bond I thought we shared had vanished into the ether of virtual connections.

It took time to heal, to accept that some connections, no matter how intense they feel, aren’t meant to last. 

Learning this reality made it easier to heal from it. Looking back, I think my mind wanted to just feel love in those dark times and it was nice to see how much my heart could love after a long while of being single. 

Experiencing unrequited love, as painful as it can be, in my opinion is a rite of passage that helps us grow, revealing our capacity for love even in unfavorable situations and the necessity of maintaining our self-worth over feelings. 

No matter how intense that love is, you will learn to recognize when something doesn’t serve, especially after you realize it is a self imposed breakfast (You ordered it, cooked it and served yourself the breakfast).  It is a lesson in self-awareness, and something that everyone should experience once in a lifetime.


~

Girl! That last paragraph!

Sighhhhhh. He did sound like a dream boy. Ouchhhh. The part that he ghosted you completely hurt so bad. I felt that. Why did he have to do you like that!😭😭😭

The breakfast part is so funny😭😂🤣. You ordered it, cooked it and served yourself😂😂😂.

I totally love how you gave yourself closure, admitted the reality and moved on. 

Wow! Your writing is impeccable! Your delivery is a hundred percent! I totally love it. Those wise words in the last few paragraphs? Come on👏🏾. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and take on Unrequited Love!

Did you guys enjoy reading? Let me know what you think in the comment section! 

Till we meet again🤍. 

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this so much, I mean the way she writes🙌, btw the oga is not serious 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. I’m sure she saw this comment. Thank you so much! I agree, he’s not serious🤣

      Delete
  2. I am definitely one to give myself closure because then again, this person didn’t ask you to fall for them so can you blame them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I totally agree. Thank you once again for sharing with us!

      Delete
  3. Very good read 💯
    I hate rejections that’s why I never open up. In the future, I hope to be a better human lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You’d definitely find your own person!🤍🤍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Universe City

Baby Steps!

Spotting Red Flags!

My Scary Experience with Miss Koi Koi

Spotting Green Flags