Father Christmas, Christmas Jollof, and my Favorite Christmas Memories



Welcome to Limitless! 

Here’s a fun fact about me. I never knew about the Grinch as a child. In fact, I only knew about it recently. I could have seen it somewhere on TV, but I didn’t do much watching of television as a toddler. It was more of an outside play and adventure for me. The most memorable cartoon for me, if I watched at all, is Teletubbies🤣. 

Also, I only knew Father Christmas, not Santa Claus😂. Okay, I’m joking. I knew what Santa was, but I knew him as Father Christmas, the guy with a big tummy and scary white hair, of course, with lots of goodies by his side. I guess we could say that Father Christmas is the Nigerian name for Santa. I was always terrified of Father Christmas though, I do not even know the reason. I would cry and try to run away from taking pictures with him. Real tears. I still wonder why exactly. 

The culture here in Canada is, parents/guardians would put gifts in stockings and boxes, and tell their children that it’s from Santa. Then, everyone would open their stockings or boxes on Christmas morning. 

In Nigeria, the most I got for Christmas were my Christmas clothes, shoes and accessories. Opening of gifts on Christmas morning was never a ritual, at least in my own family.

Sometimes, in the Christmas spirit, I would tell my mum I wanted everything I would wear to be brand new. I would wear brand new panties, singlet, dress, shoes, goggles, and socks. *shakes head. 

Days to Christmas Day, my parents would buy a live chicken to be killed on D-day. I loved watching the slaughtering and dressing of the chicken. My mum on the other hand has an intense gag reflex for a chicken being dressed. Lol. 

My dad would ask me and my brothers to de-feather the bird after he poured hot water all over it. 

There was this fateful Christmas that we decided to kill a chicken. My dad grabbed it by its wings, took it to the backyard, dug a hole, held it down by putting each of his legs on a pair of the chicken’s leg, cut its neck, and tucked the head under its wings. 

I’m guessing that the mistake was not cutting its head off completely. I say this because we took this chicken back to our front yard, put it in a big bowl, and poured hot water on it. 

Immediately the first splash of water hit this chicken’s body, guess what happened? The chicken got up😭😂. It got up and jumped out of the bowl. I didn’t even wait to see what happened next. I just started running. I ran so fast that I fell, but I got up and still continued running😂. I ran as far away from it as possible. I heard my brother laughing in the distance, but I didn’t care. The whole thing happened so suddenly which made it more scary. Anyways, don’t ask me if I ate that chicken. 

What is Christmas without Christmas jollof? Why does Christmas jollof slap differentlyy?!!! I guess it was the added Christmas flavor. Lol.  It wasn’t always jollof though. Sometimes, it was fried rice. 

A culture that I’m familiar with is giving our cooked food to our neighbors, and in return, they would fill up our plates with their own food. In other cases, they would fill up the basket you brought the food in with their gift of choice. Can you relate?

Also, I love Christmas carols. I love the presentations and songs along with the atmosphere. I’ve not seen it being done here, but in Nigeria, we would turn off the lights, light our candles, and sing “Silent Night, Holy Night”. I loved it a lot. I loved the fireworks and bangers. Bangersss! Fun times. 

Finally, learning more about the birth and celebrating Jesus tops the iceberg for me. I just love everything about Him. 

~

What’s your favorite thing about Christmas? Leave a comment if you enjoyed reading this😉. 

Till we meet again❤️. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Universe City

Baby Steps!

Spotting Red Flags!

My Scary Experience with Miss Koi Koi

Spotting Green Flags