To live with roommates or not?


Welcome to Limitless! 

Do you like living with people? Or you just don’t have another option yet? 

I’ve had roommates almost all my life. Let me share a summary of my experiences with you. 


My mum was my roommate for the earlier part of my life. I used to sleep in my mum’s room until about a year before I had to go off to high school. 


My high school had a boarding school and I was in there throughout my study. My hostel didn’t have small rooms though, it had large halls instead. We could call them large rooms. So, there were three halls/hostels, and each hostel had about 15-20 bunks. Hence, you can say I had about 30 roommates! 


There was always a closer roommate though, asides my close friends or clique. I don’t remember having a clique though, lol. I digress🤣


Okay, on track again, the closer roommate is called your “bunkie”. To be clear, the person on the upper or lower part of your bunk is called a bunkie. You also had bunk side mates i.e. those with the bunks beside yours. 


Just in case you are wondering, I cannot really talk about roommates without talking about high school. I feel like it shaped my tolerance, along with making me consider the welfare of other people before making certain decisions. 


Let’s move on to the University. I had roommates throughout my Undergraduate study. Roommates with different personalities, differences, and similarities. Bonds were formed, and some were broken😂


Let me share a memorable experience of how I met one roommate. 


I see a girl struggling to carry her luggage in the hall’s quadrangle. I approach her to help. We carry the bag to her room. Surprisingly, it is also my room. To cut it short, me and Funke practically became soul sisters. We are still friends till date. Some of my first roommates in uni are also still my really close friends. 


Stay with me, I’m going somewhere. 


On to Canada, I lived with my brother’s family for close to a year when I landed here. His family was warm and receptive. I felt at home. 


Thennnn, I moved out. Interestingly, I got the shocker of my life; one I had never seen in my history of living with roommates- A roommate that wasn’t exactly easy to live with. 


Here comes the warning. Beware if you are renting a room in a house with the landlord living in the same building. They tend to have absurd rules and expectations. Just make sure you are clear on their rules and your compromises before moving in. 


Be willing to have lots of patience too. Most people who live with the landlords of a house don’t have a pleasant experience according to what I’ve seen and heard. It might work for you though, just be guided. 


Living with roommates can be very fun, especially when they are easygoing or they are your friends. Of course, you can either enjoy the experience or despise it. It could also leave you indifferent though (e.g. in a case where you barely talk or see the roommate). 


Anywayssss, my conclusion is that, for me, my mum is the best roommate ever😂. She recently spent some time with me and it made me value her “roommateship”😂 more. She literally has no stress, she is a good companion, and she is actually organized. 


Welp, I’ve had my own share of good and not so good roommates in this life. 


Fingers crossed, I hope you get the best roommates though❤️. 


Like I said in the “things-to-consider-before-renting.” post, having a roommate mostly would depend on the size of your pocket really. Living alone can be so expensive🤦🏽‍♀️😂. 


Do you like living with people or do you prefer living alone? Please drop your thoughts in the comment section. If you enjoyed reading this, drop a comment too. Thankssss! 


Thank you for reading. Till we meet again❤️

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Universe City

Baby Steps!

Spotting Red Flags!

My Scary Experience with Miss Koi Koi

Spotting Green Flags