How to reignite your relationship with God


Do you ever get that feeling of “I’ve not been praying, I need to get closer to God, my spiritual life has been down” sometimes? It is the Holy Spirit tugging at your heart. He is bringing these thoughts into your mind because he wants you to take action. 

But, of course, the devil does not want you close to God. That is why he brings distractions and limits you to just thinking about these things but not taking action.

Or have you ever been so far from God, but you still come to Him when you need something, then, you suddenly feel so guilty and shameful? 

You are definitely not alone. I just want to share my experience with you today and give practical tips on how to stay close to God. 

Before I go into sharing my experience, I want you to keep a word in mind- ATMOSPHERE.  

Let me start with this story. 

During my undergrad days- 300 level 2nd semester precisely,  I had these two roommates named Clara and Pelumi. These two people are some of the key figures who have had a major impact on my spiritual life. 

So, these two girls had very strong spiritual lives. They would engage in spiritual conversations and realities. They would talk about Kathryn Kuhlman, Benny Hinn, and me that didn’t know these people would just sit and listen. They were just so on fire for God. Pelumi would pray so much on her bed that you would literally feel the fire going round the room. You could just tell that the presence of God was there. 

They were the ones that introduced listening to digital messages- Pastor Daniel Olawande’s messages specifically. They weren’t just about spirituality, they genuinely cared and looked out for me too. 

Why am I telling you this story? I want you to understand that atmosphere is very important when it comes to the spiritual. What are you surrounding yourself with? 

I knew that these people’s talks about spiritual things, their growth in the things of God influenced my spiritual life. Thus,  a spiritual atmosphere was set. 

Some time last year, I noticed that I was distant from God. I wasn’t praying like I used to, and it just felt like I was using God- going to Him when I needed something but not actually getting closer to Him. 

It was not the first time that was happening to me so I decided to take a different approach. 

1. I cleaned my social media. 

Who am I following, is their content good for my mind? I even noticed that I wasn’t following some people that I was meant to be following😳. So, I started following some worship ministers, ministers of the word. Of course it wasn’t as if I removed fun from my page. I just wanted it to be that as I’m laughing from a comedy skit, I’m seeing P. Daniel’s message, next I’m watching Victoria Orenze chanting, next I’m seeing Pastor Mildred’s face. I just wanted to create that atmosphere. Pages that would remind you of the reality you should keep living in and just fuel your system. 

2. Now, whenever I have that feeling that I need to pray about something or someone, I don’t delay or postpone. 

I don’t say “oh, I will pray about this in the night”. I do it immediately. The good thing about a relationship with God is that there are no protocols, He is always listening, ALWAYS. So, whenever you feel a tug at your heart to pray or you feel like you have been distant, make sure you pray immediately. For example, “God, I’m so sorry for being distant. Help me to get closer to you and just give me the strength”. Your words do not have to be perfect, say it anyhow, he understands. 

3. I downloaded the Daily Grace Devotional 

I can boldly tell you that that devotional really helped me when I was going through a tough phase last year. I remember that the topic was Godly grief. You also can download the devotional and start reading. 

4. I started listening to more podcasts and worship songs. 

The major podcast I listen to is Apostle Joshua Selman’s. I usually listen when I’m taking a walk or on a bus, or in the night. I also stream worship songs a lot and I just have them on my phone to listen anytime. I listen to Mercy Chinwo, Judikay, Nathaniel Bassey, Victoria Orenze amongst others. When I really feel like dancing, I listen to Eben’s Take All the Praise. 

5. I invite the Holy Spirit.

Let me just tell you now that putting all these things in place without asking God to intervene would turn out futile. You are setting up the atmosphere but you also have to ask God to open your heart and take control. If you don’t, you would just be seeing this but ignore them. That’s why you CANNOT do it on your own. 

If it is a digital age, then, why not surround yourself with things that feed your soul positively? 

Above all, I pray that God draws you closer to Himself, reignites your fire, and helps you grow in Him. 

_____________

A special shout-out to Chioma! This topic dropped in my Spirit when I was having a conversation with her.

Thanks so much for reading. See you soon❤️. 

Comments

  1. I can relate to this. Sometime last year my spirituality just dropped too and I knew it but I wasn't making any effort. But I thank God for His grace and my spirituality has come back stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A devotional really helps a great deal. It is a daily boost for spiritual growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I just reading this! This is so for me.
    Thanks for this piece. I pray for more grace on you sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this piece... Its just what i really need and also a source of encouragement to me...
    More anointing and grace ma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Universe City

Baby Steps!

Spotting Red Flags!

My Scary Experience with Miss Koi Koi

Spotting Green Flags